Careful and deliberate preparation is crucial to a successful colonoscopy or gastrointestinal procedure. In the days and weeks leading up to your procedure you’ll need to take some steps to ensure you are properly prepared for your exam. These steps may include transitioning to a low fiber diet, altering any medication you are currently taking as indicated by your physician, scheduling a ride to and from your procedure, and taking the day off from work. If you are scheduled for a colonoscopy, you will also want to fill your bowel prep prescription and pick it up in time to complete the prep regimen as prescribed by your doctor.
When preparing for a colonoscopy or other gastrointestinal procedure, our patients have found these easy tips helpful:
- Transition to a low fiber diet for at least three days leading up to your procedure
- Plan on staying near the bathroom
- Keep plenty of magazines or a book on hand
- Try drinking your prep solution with a straw. Bypassing the taste buds in the front of your mouth may make the taste more tolerable
- Stock up on hard candies (no red or purple) to enjoy between bowel prep doses
- Sip clear liquids between doses to stay hydrated
- Use baby wipes instead of toilet paper
Our physicians will consider several factors when recommending which bowel preparation is right for you. Each prep varies slightly so please make sure you follow the timeline and instructions that match your specific prep.
Once you have read the instructions for your prep, please call the Pre-Op Nurse at 410-224-3636 ext 496 with any questions or concerns.
- Split Dose Colyte With 2 Bottles MC
- Split Dose Colyte With 1 Bottle MC
- Medication Record Form
- King Colyte
- King Colyte With 2 Bottles MC
- King Colyte With 1 Bottle MC
- Flex Sig MC & 2 Fleets
- Flex Sig 2 Fleets
- EGD with Bravo – Antacid Restrictions
- EGD with Bravo – Stay on PPI
- 4 Doses Milk of Magnesium
- 3 Doses Milk of Magnesium
- 3 Bottles Magnesium Citrate